The University of Illinois School of Music presents
The 2010 Salvatore Martirano Memorial Composition Award
Eligibility: Any composer, regardless of age or nationality.
Awards: First Prize cash award of $1000 and second prize cash award of $500 plus performances by the University of Illinois New Music Ensemble in November of 2010 at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Additional awards and performances may be given at the discretion of the judges.
Judges: A panel of judges consisting of University of Illinois music composition faculty members will select the winning compositions. The winning composers are expected to attend the award concert/reception and will be responsible for their transportation costs (the competition will provide a stipend for lodging). The winning composers will assume full responsibility for providing adequate performance materials upon request.
- Medium: Full scores of any style or aesthetic direction for one to fifteen performers (including vocalists) may be submitted. Works for tape, electronics and/or mixed media with or without instruments/voices are eligible.
- Duration: 20 minutes maximum
- Limit: One entry per composer
- Entry fee: A non-refundable entry fee of fifteen U.S. dollars ($15.00) must be included with each submission. Payment must be in US Dollars in the form of a check, international money order or credit card (preferable). All checks and money orders must be payable to the University of Illinois, and must be drawn on a U.S. bank. Please make sure to print the credit card authorization form (clik here for form) and sign authorizing the use of the card for the amount specified, the type of card, card number, and expiration date (incomplete authorizations will be rejected).
- Anonymous Submission: The composer's name must not appear on the score itself or on any item (tape, CD, etc.) submitted in supplement to the application. A sealed envelope must accompany the score and contain the composer's name, address, telephone number/e-mail (if applicable) and a brief biographical sketch. If a recording of the work is available, it should accompany the score and be identified only by the title of the composition.
- Return of Materials: Scores will not be returned unless a self-addressed, stamped envelope of the proper size is enclosed.
- Previous winners and faculty and currently-enrolled students at the University of Illinois are ineligible for the competition.
Send submissions to:
2010 Martirano Composition Award
Attn: Zack Browning, Director, Martirano Award
2136 Music Building
University of Illinois
1114 West Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801
All submissions must be postmarked by March 15, 2010