MrMcFall’s Chamber, in association with the Scottish Arts Council, is pleased to announce a
CALL FOR SCORES
Scottish-based chamber ensemble, Mr McFall’s Chamber, is looking to commission four settings of English poems and one extended four-movement setting of English poems from young composers aged 30 and under. The commissioned works will become companion pieces to Gavin Bryars’ ‘Eight Irish Madrigals’, and will be scored for the same unusual combination of soprano, tenor, two violas (or violin and viola), cello and double bass. The chosen works will be performed alongside Bryars’ ‘Eight Irish Madrigals’ by Mr McFall’s Chamber during 2011.
Interested applicants should submit an existing example of their work by 30th April 2010, to be reviewed by the panel. The piece submitted should be one which includes a part for voice (or voices) and at least two instrumental parts. The reviewing process will be completed by 1st June 2010, at which point four settings of English poems will be commissioned from the four composers chosen. The four chosen composers will each receive a commissioning fee of £500. They will be performed together early in 2011.
One of the four composers will then be chosen and commissioned to write three further settings to make a four-movement piece (one movement of which would be their previously written individual movement). This chosen composer will receive a further fee of £1,000. This resulting four-movement complete piece will be performed during the summer or autumn of 2011.
- Applicants must be aged 30 or under on the date of submission (30th April 2010)
- The submitted score should be no longer than 15-minutes duration.
How to Apply:
Please send the following to the address below:
- A bound and legible score of one work for voice or voices and at least two other instruments – please ensure your name does NOT appear on the score
- A separate sheet, giving details of your name, address, and duration of the work
- A recording of the submitted work, if available
- Program notes, including the work's performance history
- Composer biography
- Optional: Self-addressed/stamped envelope for return of materials. Note: All other scores will be discarded the week following the judges' decision
Application Deadline: All packages must be received at 2 Downing Court, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9PN by Friday 30th April 2010 to be considered. No late submissions will be accepted.
- All applications will be acknowledged on receipt
- All applicants will be notified of the panel’s decision by 1st June 2010
- The reviewing process will be ‘blind’: each score will be numbered and the panel will not know the names of the composers until after a decision has been made.
Enquiries: Please direct any queries to Jo Buckley: firstname.lastname@example.org