The next postmark deadline is September 1, 2008
All entries will be reviewed carefully by a panel comprised of opera professionals and members of City Opera’s artistic and production staff.
All members of the jury make recommendations based on the following criteria:
- The work defines itself as an opera with music and words serving a theatrical purpose.
- Score and libretto are stage-worthy and crafted with dramatic savvy.
- Submitted material shows technical skill in composition for vocal writing and instrumental ensemble.
- The creators have a unique voice with the potential to enrich the operatic literature.
- The topic and subject matter of the opera are exceptional, relevant, and well suited to a music-theater form.
- The composer/librettist team will benefit from hearing their work with a full orchestra and soloists.
- The material is performable based on the resources available to the project.
- The work contributes to a wider diversity of styles and perspectives sought out for the festival as a whole.
All entries will also have to meet the following eligibility:
- The competition is open only to composers who are US citizens or composers currently living in America with plans to stay in the country on a long-term basis (proof required).
- The work may not have had a professional stage premiere; if a stage premiere is anticipated, it must be scheduled for after the VOX workshop dates.
- Works of all ensemble sizes will be considered but should not exceed the size of the New York City Opera orchestra (listed below). Instrumental requirements beyond the forces listed below may be considered but not guaranteed.
- Traditional and non-traditional operatic forms and musical styles are welcome.
City Opera Orchestra
The maximum ensemble size usually available for VOX is:
Timpani, 2 Percussion, Harp, Piano, Celesta
Additional and non-traditional instruments required for specific excerpts will be considered but not guaranteed. These numbers are intended as guidance in considering a work’s suitability for VOX; this is not a guarantee of what will be available for this year’s festival.