Friday 31 October to Sunday 2 November 2008
NOVARS Research Centre for Electroacoustic Composition, Performance and Sound Art, University of Manchester, UK
Submission Deadline: Monday 30, June 2008 [postmark]
MANTIS (Manchester Theatre in Sound) is seeking electroacoustic works for performance in a single concert that is part of the larger MANTIS festival [Friday 31 October to Sunday 2 November 2008] at the University of Manchester's Cosmo Rodewald Concert Hall.
For this particular concert we are calling for fixed media music and mixed instrumental and electroacoustic works, with a maximum duration of 10 minutes.
Live and interactive works for a broad range of solo instruments (including voice) or small ensembles with electroacoustic elements, or electronics alone, will be considered. Full and detailed technical requirements must be included for these works (see below). Student performers will be sought from The University of Manchester's new music ensemble: Vaganza.
Fixed media works may be stereo or multi-channel.
Only one work per composer will be considered. Work must have been composed after 2003.
The MANTIS sound diffusion system consists of 40+ Genelec loudspeakers and a purpose-built computer-based matrix and control surface at the Cosmo Rodewald Concert Hall, Martin Harris Centre for Music and Drama.
All submissions must consist of the following:
- Audio (or DATA ) CD/DVD of the work to be considered (all audio files should be interleaved).
- Programme notes (please include duration and year of creation)
- Composer biography (updated)
- Contact information: email and telephone.
- Technical specifications (including number of channels, sample rate, bit-depth, multi-channel loudspeaker mappings, and other technical requirements as necessary)
- All live and interactive submissions must additionally include the following data:
- Instrumental forces
- Number of microphones required (and kind)
- Number of channels output for diffusion system
- Hardware required
- Software and computer system requirement
- Stage plan
- Fold back requirement
All requested information must be provided in order for the work to be considered.
DEADLINE: Only submissions received by (or postmarked) Monday 30, June 2008 will be considered for MANTIS 2008. Selected composers will be notified by 31st of July at the latest.
Works will be selected by a programming committee comprised of postgraduate students and staff at the NOVARS Research Centre.
Send hard-copy materials to:
MANTIS FESTIVAL 2008
Novars Research Centre
Music - Martin Harris Centre
The University of Manchester
Coupland Street, Manchester
M13 9PL UNITED KINGDOM
David Berezan - Mantis Festival Director
Ricardo Climent - MANTIS Festival coordinator