The American Composers Forum is pleased to announce the -
Call for Scores
Postmark Deadline: March 9, 2007
Co-sponsored by the Forum and VocalEssence, Essentially Choral seeks creative and innovative works in a wide range of styles and provides a unique opportunity for talented, emerging composers from across the United States.
Up to five composers will be selected to have their works-in-progress read by the VocalEssence Ensemble Singers, a 32-voice professional chorus directed by Philip Brunelle. One of the selected composers will receive a $3,500 commission to write a new work. Preference may be given to new and experimental works, those using world or gospel influences, and works by women composers.
The reading sessions will take place May 17-19, 2007, in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
AWARDS & BENEFITS
- $500 honorarium to defray expenses
- Travel and lodging provided by VocalEssence
- One composer to be awarded $3,500 commission for premiere by VocalEssence in the 2007-2008 season, either incorporating music read at Essentially Choral or a completely new work, at Philip Brunelle's discretion (American Composers Forum and VocalEssence reserve the right not to make the commission award)
- Mentoring sessions with Philip Brunelle and an established professional composer (composer-mentor)
- Professional development seminar for emerging composers
- First Day: Rehearsal with the VocalEssence Ensemble Singers; Second Day: Reading session with the Ensemble Singers, professional instrumentalists (if applicable to the work) and conductor Philip Brunelle
Please visit www.composersforum.org/essentiallychoral for information, guidelines, and necessary application materials.
If you have any questions, please contact Craig Carnahan, Vice President of Programs, at 651.251.2833 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essentially Choral is generously supported by a grant from the Jerome Foundation.